An old farm house built in the middle of the Edo period (1603-1868) is preserved in Jusanzuka Park in Natori City, Miyagi Prefecture. It is a standard farm house of the time.
The house has a hipped roof that descends from the ridge on four sides of the building. As was typical to a farmer’s house in this region, the floor is divided evenly into four rooms, which is called the Natori-style floor planning. There is no partition between the rooms and Doma (the earth-floored space). The ridge is supported by three pillars respectively called Ushimochi-bashira, Hoito-bashira and Yomekakushi-bashira, which are made of unfinished lumbers. The pillars create simple but stately atmosphere, typically felt in the Tohoku region.
The house was lived by some family until 1973. It was designated as an Important Cultural Property by the national government in 1974, and after the repair work conducted from 1975 to 1976, it was relocated to its present location. It is a precious historical property that brings the life of farmers in the Edo period to the present day.
Miya-juku was the 41st of the 53 post stations of the Tokaido Road in the Edo period (1603-1686). It was in current Atsuta-ku, Nagoya City, Aichi Prefecture. Located at the interchange point of the Tokaido, its byroad Saya Kaido, and Minoji, which was a byroad of the Nakasendo Road, the town was always bustling with travelers. As Miya-juku was also a cathedral town of Atsuta Jingu Shrine, a lot of worshippers came to this town from all over the country. Hence, there were 248 inns, which was the largest in number on the Tokaido Road at the time, and 2 honjin inns in Miya-juku. One of the sub-honjin is now preserved as a city’s designated cultural property “the Residence of the Niwa Family.”
The only ferry service on the Tokaido Road was provided between Miya-juku and Kuwana-juku. As it was 7 ri (about 27 km) between the two ports, the ferry service was called “Shichi-ri no Watashi.”
This old house of the Mitobe family in Historical Museum of Hokkaido in Date City is the oldest existing house of a farmer who moved from the Sendai domain (present-day Miyagi Prefecture) and was engaged in the development of the land in Hokkaido. It was nationally designated as an Important Cultural Property in 1971.
The house was built at the time of their settlement in 1872 by a carpenter from Watari in the Sendai domain. It was a house in Yosemune-zukuri style with thatched roof and has two rooms and the doma (the earth floor space). The traditional wood joinery techniques typical of the Sendai area in those days are employed and no nails were used.
Built almost at the same time as the construction of Tondenhei barracks, this old house is a precious historic site that tells us of the development history of Date City.
Old Kuroiwa residence is an old private house located in Misumai, Minami-ku, Sapporo City, Hokkaido. In 1872, when the Usu Shindo Road was opened to traffic, the house was built as a national travelers’ lodge named Misumai Tsukoya. It was used for the lodge until 1884, and then it was disposed of by the government to the Kuroiwa family, the former manager of the lodge. Since then the three generations of the Kuroiwa family resided and ran a private inn here. The house was bought by the city and was designated as a municipal tangible cultural property in 1984.
The house is composed of two sections; the older one is what was used as the Tsukoya lodge and the newer one was added by the Kuroiwa family later. The newer section, which includes the stable and the storehouse, is open to the public as a historical museum, where visitors can learn about the life of farmers in the pioneering period. In 2005, the house was designated as a Hokkaido Heritage.
The residence of the Kuchiba family, who acted as Yorigumi (a quasi-principal retainer) of the Choshu domain during the Edo period, is preserved in its original form in Horiuchi Preservation District for Groups of Historic Buildings located in Hagi City, Yamaguchi Prefecture. Among the residence of high-ranked warriors in this district, the Kuchiba family’s residence is relatively old and it is a precious historic site as one of the small number of warriors’ residences preserved in the country. The main building and Omote-mon (the front gate) are nationally designated Important cultural Properties.
The main building is supposed to have been built from the late 18th to the early 19th centuries. It is in the kirizuma-style (a house with a gable roof) with sangawarabuki (with base tiles) and has a protruding wing in the Irimoya-style. Characteristically, the innermost room has the adjacent room called “ai-no-ma,” where guardsmen stationed to protect the master.
The front gate is a long roofed-gate with a width of 22.2 m and a depth of 4.9 m. It is built in the Irimoya-style with hongawarabuki (with formal tiles), the front side of which is plastered with white clay and has beautiful sea slug walls covering its lower part. It is said that this magnificent gate had been used for the domain lord’s manor in Edo before being relocated to this place. It is the largest existing gate of a warrior’s residence in the city.
Chizu-shuku in present-day Yazu-gun, Tottori Prefecture once flourished as the largest post town in the prefecture in the Edo period (1603-1868). The old houses and the guideposts still remain in this historic town. Among the houses on the old street stands out the residence of the Ishitani family, who had owned huge areas of agricultural and forest land since the Edo period. Denshiro Ishitani, the head of the family in the Meiji period (1868-1912) was a member of the national parliament.
Denshiro conducted a large-scale repair work to the former building in 1919, and about ten years later, completed the present residence with 40 rooms and 7 store houses on the site with an area of about 10,000 square meters. The main building has the features of old samurai residences. The householder’s room facing the garden is built in Shin-zukuri style. The stroll style pond garden can be viewed from each room. Several architectural styles are in good harmony with each other in this magnificent residence. It is registered as a national Tangible Cultural Property and designated as a municipal Cultural Property.
The residence of the Kuroda family located in Shimo-Hirakawa, Kikugawa City, Shizuoka Pref. is a nationally designated Important Cultural Property. The Kuroda family was a warrior clan descended from the Genji (Minamoto) line. In the Eiroku era (1558-1570), Kuroda Yoshiie moved to the village of Shimo-Hirakawa in Enshu province (present-day Shizuoka Pref.). In the late Edo period, when a Hatamoto (direct retainer of Shogun), Honda Sukehisa, was feoffed the area including Shimo-Hirakawa, he appointed the Kuroda clan as the local governor. After the Meiji Restoration, the generations of the Kuroda family served as village mayor and town mayor and contributed to the development of this area.
The main building of the residence is built in Yosemune-zukuri with a pantiled (sangawara-buki) roof. There is a formal shikidai (a low board step) in the entrance hall. Elaborate artifice befitting to the status of the mayor can be seen everywhere inside the residence. The nagaya-mon gate in Yosemune-zukuri with a thatched roof is said to be 250 years old. The building shows the typical architectural style of the local governor’s residence in the late Edo period.
The residence of the Nakamura family located in Yuto-cho Ubumi, Nishi-ku, Hamamatsu City, Shizuoka Pref. is a historic Japanese house, which is nationally designated as an Important Cultural Property. In 1483, the head of the Nakamura clan, Nakamura Masazane, became a retainer of the Imagawa clan and moved to the village of Ubumi. In the 16th century, when the province was ruled by the Imagawa clan, the Nakamura clan served as the local governor and controlled military ships on Lake Hamana. Later, the Nakamura clan served for the Tokugawa clan and was appointed as the Imagiri military ship and food supply administrator (Imagiri Gunsen Hyoro Bugyo).
The residence is presumed to have been built around 1688. It is a one-storied house in Yosemune-zukuri style with a large thatched roof. Surrounded with trees growing in a huge premise of 3,000 square meters, this historic house is well preserved as the treasure of the town. From 2001 to 2003, the house was demolished and restored to the present form.