Since the Edo period (1603-1868), a pilgrimage to Kotohira-gu (Konpira-san) has been a great pleasure for people and a lot of pilgrims visited the town of Kotohira from every part of the country. Accordingly, the roads from all directions converged on this shrine, and many stone lanterns were dedicated by people and erected as the landmark for pilgrims.
The Takatoro Stone Lantern located next to Kotohira Station of Kotoden Railway on the riverside of the Yoshino River is the tallest stone lantern in Japan. It is 28 m tall and could be seen from far-off Marugame Harbor when it was lit at night. Using oil and candles as light source, it was designed to prevent light from being blown out by wind. Today, Takatoro Stone Lantern is the symbol of Kotohira Town.