NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉

Results 1 - 8 of 15 articles     >>     >|  


雄飛滝 Yuuhi-daki The Yuhidaki Waterfall

Jp En

Yuhidaki is a 30 meter waterfall located in Yamada Town in the northernmost part of Shuzenji Town in Izu City, Shizuoka Prefecture. It flows down in two stages; the upper stage is 20 meter tall and the lower stage is 10 meter tall. The white lines of water flowing down on the columnar joint rock surface, which is typical to this region, are very beautiful. The statue of Fudo Myoo is enshrined beside the bottom of the waterfall.

Double-flowered cherry trees that come into bloom in late April and hydrangea flowers that line the walking trail down to the basin in June offer wonderful color contrasts to the waterfall. In winter, on the other hand, the dashing flow of water freezes to create beautiful ice pillars. You will feel as if time has stopped when you see the sharp tips of ice plunging from above your head and protruding toward you.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


八王子 真覚寺 Hachiouji Shinkaku-ji Shinkakuji Temple in Hachioji

Jp En

Shinkakuji Temple located in Sanda-machi, Hachioji City, Tokyo is a temple of the Chizan school of the Shingon sect. The main object of worship is Fudo Myoo. The temple is the 71st fudasho-temple of the Tama Shin-Shikoku 88 Holy Sites. The temple was founded in 1411. The temple treasure of the sitting statue of Yakushi Nyorai is designated as a Cultural Property of the city. The bell and bell tower are said to have been dedicated by Hachioji Sennin Doshin (junior officials) in 1660.

Shinkakuji Temple is famous for azalea and “Kawazu Gassen (the Frog Concert).” In the precinct is a pond called Shinji-ike in the shape of the Chinese character for “heart,” around which grow a lot of azalea and they are in full bloom in the middle of June. From the middle to the end of March, a lot of toads move to this pond for laying eggs. Though the toads decreased in number today, there used to be tens of thousands of toads got together here, which was called “Frog Concert” by the local people.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites

八王子 金剛院 Hachiouji Kongou-in Kongoin Temple in Hachioji

Jp En

Kongoin Temple located in Ueno-machi, Hachioji City, Tokyo is a Bekkaku Honzan (a special headquarters) of the Shingon sect. The main object of worship is Fudo Myoo. The temple is the 63rd fudasho-temple of the Kanto 88 Holy Sites, the 16th of the Buso 48 Kannon Sites, the 73rd of the Tama Shin-Shikoku 88 Holy Sites, and one of Hachioji Pilgrimage to Shichifukujin (the Seven Lucky Deities).

The temple was founded in 1576, when the priest Shinsei built a Fudo hall. In 1631, it was restored at this place as a sub-branch temple of Koyasan Kongobuji Temple and Jigenin Temple. The temple buildings were burned down by an air raid in 1945 and rebuilt in the post-war period.

Kongoin Temple is known for a large number of treasures, including the two statues of Jurojin and Fukurokuju of the Seven Lucky Deities, two Rokkyoku Byobu (six-panel screens) of Shihon Chakushoku Koyasan Zue (the illustrated description of Koyasan in color on paper) and Shihon Chakushoku Saiobo-zu (a painting of the Queen Mother of the West in color on paper), both of which are designated Tokyo Important Tangible Cultural Properties.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


識蘆の滝 Shikiro-no-taki The Shikiro Waterfall

Jp En

The Shikiro Waterfall is located in the valley behind Eigenji Temple in Higashiomi City, Shiga Prefecture. This 25 m tall waterfall flows down in two stages; the upper stage is 20 m tall and the lower is 5 m tall.

The name “Shikiro” derives from “Shikiro-an,” a hermitage built by Ogura Sanezumi, who was both a good warrior and a good scholar in the late Muromachi period (1336-1573). It is said that he took clear water from this waterfall to offer it to the statue of Buddha every morning. A small statue of Fudo Myoo stands beside the waterfall today.

The waterfall dynamically gushes down the tall cliff. It looks especially beautiful in fall, when it is surrounded with autumn leaves. The water flows at a slant in the upper stage into the first basin, from which it flows down as if it was kinked into the lower basin. The white flow and the emerald green basin make a wonderful contrast. You can enjoy a moment of coolness even in the midst of the hot summer.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


目黒不動尊 Meguro-fudouson Meguro Fudoson

Jp En

Meguro Fudoson is a popular name for Ryusenji Temple, an old temple of the Tendai sect, located in Shimo-meguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo. It is said that the town name “Meguro (black eyes)” originates in the principal image of this temple, the statue of Fudo Myoo with black eyes. The temple is said to have been established in 808 by the priest Jikaku Daishi Ennin, who placed the statue of Fudo Myoo at this place on his way from Shimotsuke province (present-day Tochigi Pref.) to Kyoto. In the precinct flows down the Tokko Waterfall, which sprang out of the spot where Jikaku Daishi threw his tokko (a tool for priests) to decide the location of the temple. The temple name “Ryusen (waterfall and spring)” is said to be originated in this episode. It is believed that one can be cured of a disease if he stands under the waterfall. In the Bunka-Bunsei era (1804-1829) of the Edo period, the temple was a popular place to get “Tomi-kuji (fortune lotto).”
Ryusenji Temple is the oldest Fudo temple in Japan and counted as one of Japan’s three largest Fudo temples, the 18th temple of Kanto 36 Fudo Pilgrimage Temples, one of Edo Goshiki Fudo (Five Different-colored Fudo statues in Edo) to guard Edo Castle. It also enshrines Ebisu (god of fishers and merchants) as one of Yama-no-te Shichifukujin Temples (Seven Gods of Fortune in Yama-no-te area).
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


高鍋大師 Takanabe-Taishi Takanabe Taishi

Jp En

Takanabe Taishi is the generic name of about 700 stone Buddhist statues located in Takanabe-cho, Koyu-gun, Miyazaki Pref. The statues were carved by Yasukichi Iwaoka (1889-1977), who devoted his half a lifetime to this feat. Distressed by a series of robbing of Mochida Kofun, Yasukichi turned over his family business to his son at the age of 40 and began to carve stone statues to console the souls of the ancient chieftains. In 1931, he obtained a part of land, where a group of kofun are located, and invited a stone workman from Usuki, Oita Pref. to learn how to carve statues.
The stone statues included the huge statues of Fudo Myoo, Inari Okami, Twelve Yakushi Nyorai, Juichimen Kanzeon (11-faced Kanzeon), Amaterasu Okami, Susanoo no Mikoto and various other small statues. Prayers, requiem and the feelings that people handed down since the ancient times are all embodied in these statues.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


東南院 Tounan-in Tonanin Temple

Jp En

Tonanin Temple is one of the tacchu temples (small temples in the precinct) of Kinpusenji Temple. It is a Shugendo temple founded about 1,300 years ago by En no Gyoja. The main object of worship is En no Gyoja Jinben Daibosatsu (the deified En no Gyoja, the founder of Shugendo). When En no Gyoja founded Kinpusenji Temple, he also built this temple in the to-nan direction (southeast) of the main hall of Kinpusenji Temple.
In 1684, a master poet Matsuo Basho stayed in this area and wrote a poem for his Nozarashi Kiko (the travel diary written in Kii and Yamato provinces). In the precinct stands the stone monument with this poem inscribed in it. Tahoto pagoda with Hinoki-bark roofs stores the statues of Dainichi Nyorai, Bishamonten and Fudo Myoo. The inscription on the bronze gong called Waniguchi (crocodile mouth) at the front of the pagoda reads “the 7th year of the Eiroku era (1564).”
In spring, viewed from the top of nearby Mt. Idatenyama (370 m), Tahoto pagoda surrounded with cherry blossoms are especially beautiful.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


願成寺 板橋不動院 Ganjyou-ji Itabashi-fudouin Itabashi Fudo-son

Jp En

Itabashi Fudo-son, or formally named Seian-san Ganjoji Fudoin Temple, is a temple of Shingon Sect. The temple was established by the great priest Kukai in 808. It had been burnt down by several fires, and in the 16th century, the temple was rebuilt by a high ranked Shingon Sect priest. The Fudo-son (the Buddhist divinity of fire) at this temple is worshipped by a lot of people for his power of bringing about easy delivery and successful childcare. There are a lot of cultural properties at this temple including National Important Cultural Properties of the statues of Fudo Myoo and Ryo-doji, both of which were carved by Kukai himself, and prefectural Important Cultural Properties of the Main Hall, Sakura-Gate, and the 3-story Pagoda. The 3-story Pagoda was renovated in 1996. This is one of the few temples in the prefecture which are composed of seven major buildings.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites

Results 1 - 8 of 15 articles     >>     >|  
NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - 日本語に切り替える NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - to english

"Nippon-kichi" leads you to places, people and things that reveal a certain Japanese aesthetic.

Articles: 5444
Keywords shuffle
Keywords Search
View history

Linkclub NewsLetter