NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉

Results 1 - 4 of 4 articles          


倶利伽羅不動尊 Kurikara-Hudouson Kurikara Fudouson

Jp En

Kurikara Fudouson Temple is situated near Kurikara Pass, which was made famous by the battle between the Heike Clan and Saso Yoshinaka during the 2nd year of the Eiju period (1183). It is said to be one of the three best fudousons in Japan.

In the 2nd year of the Yourou period (718), at the request of Emperor Genshou, the Indian high priest Zenmui-sannzou-houshi was called upon to spread the laws of Buddhism upon the land. It is said that deep inside the temple's main building, hidden from the public, lies the sword of enlightenment which has a winding black dragon carved right on it. The sword has been called Kurikara-fudouson since then.

One hundred years later, the Buddhist priest, Kobo Daishi, reached Kurikara Fudouson, carved a statue that was almost exactly identical to the one made by Zenmui-sannzou-houshi, and conducted the Goma fire ritual. This statue is enshrined in the main hall.

The temple was partially destroyed during the Gennpei battles in the 2nd year of the Eiju period, but was reconstructed owing to the dedications of Minamoto no Yoritomo. A prayer house by the name of Chourakutei was built nearby by the Kaga Domain in the Edo period. Kurikara means 'black dragon' in Sanskrit.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites

成巽閣 Seisonkaku Seisonkaku Villa

Jp En

Located inside the grounds of the garden of Kenrokuen, Seisonkaku Villa was built in 1863. It was originally named 'Tatsumi-goten' and was built by the 13th lord of the Kaga Domain, Nariyasu Maeda, as a retreat for his mother Takako (wife of the 12th lord Narinaga Maeda).

Seisonkaku Villa is located in the southeast section ('tatsumi') of Kanazawa Castle, hence its original name Tatsumi-goten. Additionally, the name derives from the Tatsumiden built by the Takatsuka clan in Kyoto.

The building is two storeys high, with the first floor built in Shoin-style architecture and the second floor in Sukiya-style architecture. It is designated as an Important National Cultural Asset and is also a representative example of late-Edo architecture.

The elegant interior decoration indicates great consideration by the architect. Instead of walls made of earthen elements, paper is used flamboyantly, along with crimson lacquer for the first floor. On top of this, mica and gold are used for designs and ornaments. On the whole, rich decoration is a dominant characteristic of Seisonkaku Villa.

Tobizuruen, the garden of the villa, is also designated as a national scenic spot. Seisonkaku Villa is currently a historical museum.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


金沢神社 Kanazawa-jinjya Kanazawa Shrine

Jp En

In 1794, Maeda Harunaga, the 11th Kaga domain head, built Kanazawa Shrine to commemorate his ancestor Sugawara Michizane, Kaga domain head and member of the Maeda clan.

Harunaga also established a clan school, Meirin-dou, and dedicated Michizane as the protector deity over the school. Even though Meirin-dou eventually was moved to another place for the construction of Kenroku-en, the shrine remained.

Maeda Narinaga, the 12th domain head, built Takezawa House and invoked the same deity to protect the house, renaming it Tenman-gu. In 1876, it was renamed Kanazawa Shrine.

Kanazawa Shrine is famous as the best place in Ishikawa prefecture to pray for academic success. Many entrance examinees come to the shrine and fervently pray.

In the precincts of the shrine is Kinjo Spiritual Stream, along which Kanazawa was built. It is said that if you walk around the pond three times and pray, your wish will come true.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites


善徳寺 Zentokuji Zentokuji Temple

Jp En

Zentokuji temple, also called Johana's Branch of Honganji, is situated in Nishigami district, Toyama prefecture. It is also a branch temple of Shinshû Ôtaniha.

Since its foundation, Zentokuji temple has prospered alongside the town. It has also become the heart of the town. The area is deeply related to the Shinshû and is known as the representative state of the Kaga Ikkō-ikki.

The temple was established in 1471. Rennyo, the 8th priest of Honganji, founded it, and it was transferred to Johana in 1559. It is believed that Gyōki created the statue of Amitabha in the main hall.

In the Edo period, it was put under the control of the Kaga Maeda Clan and later flourished. Within the precinct, there are rows of dragon-sculpted gates and a bell tower, which exude a deep sense of history.

In the annual Airing of Temple Treasures (July 22-28), treasures associated with the Rennyo and the Maeda clan are exhibited.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites

Results 1 - 4 of 4 articles          
NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - 日本語に切り替える NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - to english

"Nippon-kichi" leads you to places, people and things that reveal a certain Japanese aesthetic.

Articles: 5445
Keywords shuffle
Keywords Search
View history

Linkclub NewsLetter