NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉

Results 1 - 5 of 5 articles          

2007/11/1


智満寺 Chimanji Chimanji Temple

Jp En

Chimanji Temple located in Kawane-Honcho, Haibara-gun, Shizuoka Pref. is a historic temple of the Soto sect Buddhism. The principal object of worship are Hasso Shakamuni Nyorai (the eight aspects of Shakamuni), Hokan Shakamuni Nyorai (crowned Shakamuni), Senju Kanzeon Bosatsu (Kannon with 1,000 arms) and Yakuyoke Enmei Jizo Bosatsu (life prolonging Jizo).
According to the temple record, it originates in a hermitage built by Kochi, a second generation student of Priest Ganjin, in the Nara period (710-794). Some say that it was founded as an attached temple of Chimanji Temple in Shimada City to teach priests of the Tendai sect. After the mid-Heian period, it was flourished as a training ashram for mountain practitioners. In 1491, the temple sect was changed to the Soto sect and a Zen monk Kaifu Keimon of Dokeiin Temple in Suruga province was invited as the first resident priest of the new temple. During the Warring States period (1493-1573), the temple was revered by the Imagawa and Tokugawa clans.
Located in a scenic place with refreshing air, the temple is proud of its fine groves in the precinct including ten cedar trees of 800 to 1,200 years old, which are nationally designated Natural Monuments.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



2007/2/14


橋本院 Hashimoto-in Hashimoto Temple

Jp En

Hashimoto Temple is a Koya-san Shingon temple located in Nara Prefecture. The priest Gyogi established this temple under the order of the Gensho Emperor.

Hashimoto Temple was burnt down once, but after reforming, it was transformed to the present place. It is also called Hashimoto-in because the former temple once had a bridge ('hashi').

Hashimoto Temple is one of the seven Tenporin temples. It is notable as the temple where the priest Ganjin was once resident. There is a 5.4m tall statue of the eleven-headed Kannon, which is the center of worship every 21st day of the month and during the Higan Hoyo, which takes place in spring and autumn.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



2007/1/31


大安寺 Daian-ji Daianji Temple

Jp En

Daianji is a temple of the Shingon sect. It is situated on Mt Koya, Nara Prefecture, and is one of the Nanto seven temples.

The origin of Daianji is said to be Kumagori Temple, which Shotoku Taishi built in Nara. After that, the temple was moved and renamed many times. It has been known as Kudara-o-ji temple, Takaichi-o-ji temple and Daikan-o-ji temple.

When the capital was relocated to Heijo-kyo, the temple settled in its present place.

In the Nara period, the temple was the most prosperous of its day; many important figures in Buddhist history trained here, such as: Yoei, who guided Ganjin in Japan; Gyohyo, an instructor of Saicho; and Gonso, an instructor of Kukai.

Now, there are nine Buddha statues of the Tenpyo, Nara period such as a main statue, a wooden 11-faced Kannon statue, a wooden 1000-hand Kannon statue and a wooden Fuku-kenjaku Kannon statue. All the statues have been designated as Important Cultural Assets.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites




唐招提寺(世界遺産) Toshodai-ji Toshodaiji Temple

Jp En

Toshodaiji Temple was established by a Chinese monk called Ganjin and is the headquarters of the Risshu Buddhist sect in Nara Prefecture.

Ganjin was invited to Japan by Shomu Emperor but he failed his sea trip five times and suffered from many troubles like losing his eyes. 12 years later, he finally arrived in Japan.

After staying at Todaiji Temple in Nara for five years, in the third year of the Tenpyo-hoji period (759), he was offered the former residence of Nitabe Shinno. He had Toshodaiji built as a training place to study Buddhist commandments.

Later his image was sculpted as a atatue and has been preserved in Miei-do. The statue is the oldest figure of its type and is a National Treasure.

At Toshodaiji, there are many valuable Buddhist buildings such as Golden Building, the only Tenpyo one existing now, and the ruin of Heijo-kyu. In 1989, the temple was designated as a World Heritage site and as one of the cultural assets of Nara, the old capital.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



2006/12/20


鞍馬寺 Kurama-dera Kurama Temple

Jp En

Kurama Temple is located in Mt.Kurama, Sakyo in Kyoto city.  Its sect was originally Shingon and later Tendai and then in 1947, the chief priest, Shigaraki Kouun started a new sect, Kurama-kokyo.  After 1949 it attained independence as the head of Kurama-kokyo.

The shrine was established in the first year of Hoki period, 770, when Gantei, a disciple of Gantei, built Bishamon-ten. In 796, Fujihara Isejin, who received a revelation from the god, built a statue of Senju-kannon.

The central Buddha statues are called 'Zoten', consisting of Bisha-monten-ou, Senju-kannnon-bosatsu and Goho-maho-zou.

In old times, hermit warrior monks known as ‘Yamabushi’ lived and meditated in the mountains and preached esoteric Buddhism.  It is said that a long-nosed goblin called Tengu, the spirit of a mountain, lived on Mt.Kurama, one of the most sacred mountains of Tengu. And Mt.Kurama is well known as the place where Ushiwakamaru ( Minamoto Yoshitsune) trained himself, and was also made famous by the novel 'Kurama-Tengu' by Jiro Osaragi.

There are national treasures in the temple; wooden statues of Bishamon-ten, Kissho-ten and Zennishi-doji, or Kurama-temple Kyozuka relics.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



Results 1 - 5 of 5 articles          
NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - 日本語に切り替える NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - to english

"Nippon-kichi" leads you to places, people and things that reveal a certain Japanese aesthetic.

Articles: 5445
Categories
Prefectures
Keywords shuffle
Favorites
Keywords Search
View history



Linkclub NewsLetter