Zuiganji Temple in Matsushima Town, Miyagi Prefecture, is a temple of the Myoshinji school of the Rinzai sect. It was founded as Enpukuji Temple in 828 by Jikaku Daishi En’nin, a high-ranked priest of the Tendai sect. The temple received faithful protection from the Oshu Fujiwara clan as a temple built at the Emperor's behest. The principal object of worship is Sho Kannon Bosatsu.
In 1259, it became a temple of the Rinzai sect, and was prosperous for some time and then declined in the Warring States period (1493-1573). It was revived in 1609 by Date Masamune and renamed Zuigan Enpuku Zenji Temple.
Kuri (the priests’ quarters) and the corridor were constructed presumably during the Keicho era (1596-1614). They are elaborately designed precious historic structures. Kuri is connected to the main hall by the corridor, which has railings with incised decorations. Kuri has a huge tiled roof in the Kirizuma-zukuri (gabled) style. The embellishment of gable pediments and the layout of the corridor are especially wonderful. They are collectively designated as a National treasure.
Guzeiji Temple, or generally called “Udo Kannon,” was established by the Indian monk Hodo Sennin (the immortal Taoist) in a mountain village of Udo some time during the Taika era (645-650) in the Asuka period. In the ancient times the temple was so prosperous that there were many temple buildings collectively called “Makigamine Sengenbo (1,000 Sobo or living quarters of Buddhist priests in Mt. Makigamine).” However, as the Heike forces, who were defeated in the Genpei Wars, took a refuge in this mountain, all the buildings were burned down by the attack of Genji forces in 1182. As the main object of worship, the image of Sho Kannon was hidden in the nearby waterfall to escape fire during this battle, the temple has been called “Seiryu-san Guzeiji (Guzeiji in the clear mountain stream).” The image of Sho Kannon is believed to have the power to cure diseases, and a lot of local people attend the prayer service held every morning.
Kannon Temple is a Yuzu Nembutsu temple on Mt Otowa in Sakurai, Nara Prefecture.
Kannon Temple is the 8th temple of Amadera Sanju-Rokkasho. In the Hakuho period, when Nakatomi no Kamatari's son, Jo-e, enshrined his father at Myoraku Temple, he established Kannon Temple to exorcize devils. The temple includes a statue of Sahasrabhuja-arya-avalokiteśvara, which was carved from a single tree by Kamatari.
During the Heian period, Kannon Temple prospered and was known as Otowa Hyakubo. In 876, however, much of the temple was destroyed in a flood.
The temple's principle deity is, of course, Sahasrabhuja-arya-avalokiteśvara, which is known as Otowa's Kannon. The temple grounds feature several special spots, such as Otowa spring (said to be good for eye diseases), and a ginkgo tree (said to bring good fortune).
Nara Daigan Temple is an Omuro Shingon Buddhist temple in Ouda-ku, Uda, Nara Prefecture. The name of the mountain where it is sited is Mt Satta.
Nara Daigan Temple is also called Shichifuku-ji. Soga-no-umako established the temple on the order of the prince Shotoku. During the Edo period, the Uda Matsuyama clan preserved it.
The principal image of Nara Daigan Temple is a statue of the Eleven-headed Kannon-bosatsu. The temple was once burnt down yet the image was saved miraculously. As a result, the image is now called the 'Non-burning Kannon'.
It is also believed that the image can help avert fire disasters. Within the precinct, rare items include Buddhist stones and Fudezuka of Morino Yoshinori. It is famous for its Lenten fare.
The old Shimizudera Temple is located beside Hodai Temple. It is located on the Fudarakusan mountain and it belongs to the Soto sect of Buddhism. It is also called Shimizu Kannon Temple. Its principal image is the Jyuichimen Sente Kannon.
The nearby water that gushes down the mountain is counted as one of the 'top 15 waters of Toyo no Kuni'. It is said that the water quality has never changed since the Heian period. Even today it moistens the arable lands below. The water is reputed to have the 'power to confer immortality'. It is also known to be good for stomach complaints and diabetes.
The Shimizudera Temple is located in front of a forest of Castanopsis trees. In fact, just viewing the forest gives the sense that one's life may become longer.
Zuiganji Temple, located in Matsushima Town, Miyagi prefecture, was established by EnjinJikaku-monk. It is one of the greatest Zen Buddhism temples in Oshu, the northeastern region of Japan. It is famous also for having one of the three most scenic spots in Japan, the others being Amahashi-date and Miyajima.
Most buildings of the temple were built beginning in1609 during the Edo period by Date Masamune, using the style from the Momoyama period and construction took almost five years. He summoned 130 professional builders from Kyoto and Negoro in Wakayama prefecture and ordered high-quality wooden materials such as Japanese cypress, cedar and zelkova from Kumano. Using such a team and materials gives an indication of how powerful he was in Oshu. The details are extraordinary including luxurious and bright paintings on paneled doors, fan lights, sliding doors and recesses. The main building of the temple is designated as a national treasure and consists of 10 rooms. It was built in Irimoya architectural style and special roof-tile way. Kannon-bosatsu has been, in peace and quiet, dedicated in it.
The temple is very precious because it has the unique hallmark style of Momoyama. It is the ultimate in beauty composed passionately by a strong military commander and expert workmen.