NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉

Results 1 - 2 of 2 articles          

2007/1/18


長浜城 Nagahama-jyo Nagahama Castle

Jp En

When Oda Nobunaga attacked Kotani Castle, the stronghold of Asai Nagamasa, Kinoshita Tokichiro (Toyotomi Hideyoshi) rescued Oichi and her three daughters just before the castle collapsed.

In November 1573, the Asai Clan fell and Tokichiro was awarded Asai territory. Tokichiro took the new name Hashiba Hideyoshi, and became the first feudal lord with a castle. The following year, Hideyoshi commenced construction of a castle in Imahama. He used materials from Kotani Castle or hidden ones from Takebu Island.

In the autumn of 1575, the castle was completed and Hideyoshi changed the name of the district from Imahama to 'Nagahama', and relocated here from Kotani Castle. At that time, he was attacking Hokuriku or the Chugoku region as Nobunaga's advance guard.

In 1582, after Nobunaga's death, Shibata Katsutoyo gained possession of his castle but Hideyoshi quickly recaptured it and used it as a stronghold during the Shizugadake Battle.

After that, many generals lived in the castle, but when the Toyotomi family fell, the castle was dismantled and much of the material, like the stone walling, was used in the construction of Hikone Castle.

Today's Nagahama Castle was rebuilt using public donations and support in 1983 as a historical museum.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



2006/12/20


姫路城 Himejijo Himeji Castle

Jp En

Himeji Castle, located in Himeji City, Hyogo Pref. is the typical example of medieval castle architecture in Japan. The castle together with Horyuji Temple was designated as the World Heritage in 1993 for the first case in Japan. The castle walls with plaster coating are really beautiful and as it appears as a white egret ready for flight, it is given the name of “White Egret Castle.” It is lit up in the evening. The castle was originally built by Hideyoshi Hashiba (later Toyotomi) as the bases for making an attack on Mori forces in Chugoku district. The original castle had three stories, but later after the Battle of Sekigahara, Terumasa Ikeda occupied the castle and reconstructed it. It took 9 years to complete the reconstruction. The main complex consists of one main donjon with five stories and seven floors and three secondary towers. The main donjon is connected by watariyagura (corridors and passages) to the other towers. The complex is well preserved as it was in the old days and still stands gallantly in the present time.
The castle court is filled with amazing color of 1,000 various cherry trees blooming in the spring; Yoshino cherry as well as weeping cherry and yamazakura in Nishinomaru Tower.
[+ADDRESS] Add this to Favorites



Results 1 - 2 of 2 articles          
NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - 日本語に切り替える NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - to english

"Nippon-kichi" leads you to places, people and things that reveal a certain Japanese aesthetic.

Articles: 5445
Categories
Prefectures
Keywords shuffle
Favorites
Keywords Search
View history



Linkclub NewsLetter