NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉

2007/5/9

鳥取 豊乗寺 Tottori bujoji Bujoji Temple

Jp En


Bujoji Temple located in Chizu-cho, Yazu-gun, Tottori Prefecture is a temple of the Shingon sect. It was founded during the Kasho era (845-851) in the Heian period by the priest Shinga, an apprentice of Kobodaishi Kukai. It was once composed of many temple buildings including 6 sub-temples, but was destroyed by fire in a battle during the Warring States period (1493-1573). The present building was built in some era after the mid-Edo period.

Together with Daisenji and Mitokusan Sanbutsuji temples, Bujoji Temple was one of the three principal temples of the Shingon sect in this area, where the initiation of the esoteric Buddhism was given to the successors. The temple used to possess the depicted images of Fuken Bosatsu (a National Treasure) and Ryuyo Kannon (a National Important Cultural Property) in Kenpon-Chakushoku style (silk-based colored picture), which are now housed at Tokyo National Museum.

The 600-year-old huge cedar tree in the precinct is a prefecturally designated Natural Monument.

Add this to Favorites

address
73 Oaza Niimi, Chizu-cho, Yazu-gun, Tottori Prefecture, Japan 689-1400
name
Bujoji Temple




NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - 日本語に切り替える NIPPON Kichi - 日本吉 - to english

"Nippon-kichi" leads you to places, people and things that reveal a certain Japanese aesthetic.

Articles: 5445
Categories
Prefectures
Keywords shuffle
Favorites
Keywords Search
View history



Linkclub NewsLetter